Bill has been solving complex problems for his clients for over 40 years. He is gifted with a talent for connecting with people, building teams and opening markets.
He is highly skilled in simplifying complex issues/challenges involving real estate, facilities and land use into manageable pieces. He does this by listening, recruiting teams of highly skilled and talented people into an environment where they collaborate, communicate and commit to define and execute strategies that address the issues/challenges before them and deliver the best solution for his clients.
Any success he’s had has been because of the highly skilled and talented people that have been part of these teams. The end result has been projects delivered on time or ahead of schedule, at or under budget, with a high degree of client satisfaction.
He has a broad, diverse background made of up of senior level corporate experience and in serving as a senior executive with world class service providers. This has afforded him the invaluable experience of working with clients in the corporate, public and institutional sectors on a wide range of scale and scope of projects, developments, transactions and product types.
He recently served in the lead advisory role involving the structuring and procurement of a complex P3 Design, Build, Finance, Operate and Maintain project for UC Merced involving over 1 million sq. ft. of classrooms, research labs, residence halls, infrastructure, athletic and student life facilities. He is currently working on securing the entitlements to develop 655 acres just south of UC Merced for a private owner.
The scale and scope of projects and transactions managed and completed transcend the full spectrum including:
- P3 Project structure and delivery
- Land leases.
- Land entitlement including, environmentally sensitive sites.
- Underwriting, developing, marketing, selling and leasing all types of commercial property portfolios.
- Developing team, project management and transaction processes and structures that have resulted in a high level of client and customer satisfaction.
Bill and his wife Sally have been married for 40 years and live in Los Gatos. They have two children, Shannon and Scott and four grandchildren. Shannon lives in San Francisco with her husband Chris, daughter Whitney and sons Will and Andrew. Scott lives in Dallas with his wife Jane and their son Thomas.
William F. Hvidt
121 El Porton
Los Gatos, CA
Education and Licenses
UCLA BS, Economics
California Real Estate Brokers License
1975-1976 Commercial Real Estate Broker, Matlow-Kennedy Corp, Long Beach CA
1976-1979 Sales Executive, Xerox Corp., Santa Clara, CA
1979-1999 Senior Managing Director, Cushman & Wakefield, San Jose, CA
1999-2001 Corporate Development Director, Regus Business Centre’s, San Jose, CA
2001-2002 Vice-President, Orchard Property Co., San Jose CA
2002-2004 Senior Vice President, Cornish & Carey, Santa Clara, CA
2004-2009 Senior Vice President, Managing Director, Grubb & Ellis Co., San Jose CA
2009-2016 Principal, Managing Director, The Hvidt Group, Los Gatos, CA
- As lead advisor, advised the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor of Planning and Budget at the University of California, Merced in the procurement of the development team to develop and delivery the second phase of the campus (1.2 Million SF, $1B estimated cost) using the Public Private Partnership Design, Build, Finance, Operate and Maintain availability payment structure. The success achieved using this approach assures the Project will be built by 2020 and leverages State funds in a unique first of its kind structure.
- Led Business Development effort for forward looking master planned community to bring jobs to under-employed area of the Central Valley of California through the development of speculative research and office buildings.
- Recruited and led a team of professionals in the property acquisition and development process that drove cost savings and achieved on time occupancy for 9 projects totaling 500,000 s.f. in 9 cities in 9 months through active and regular communication and open discussions on innovative acquisition and development approaches.
- Developed and executed the strategy and managed all aspects of the entitlement and development process for development of 500K sq. ft. of corporate facilities and 800K sq. ft. of private sector investment opportunities.
- Advised property owner, Schlumberger, on strategy development and implementation in environmental clean-up plan negotiations for multiple properties with EPA followed by entitlement negotiations with City’s of of San Jose and Mt View for general plan amendment changing zoning from manufacturing to retail and for speculative office development respectively.
- Advised owner on strategy development and implementation in entitlement negotiation for a 20 acre property with City of San Jose for Catellus.
- Advised the principals in the acquisition and disposition of over $3B of property through sale and leasing, globally and domestically.
- Led the creation of the Financial Services capability targeted at addressing the challenges of institutional developers and private owners real estate portfolio’s in Silicon Valley resulting in assignments underwriting, acquiring, developing and marketing property totaling 3,000,000 sq.ft., valued in excess of $1,000,000,000 and over $10,000,000 in revenue for C&W.
- Led the creation of the Corporate Services capability in Silicon Valley market, targeted at addressing the global challenges of corporate real estate portfolio’s, resulting in considerable repeat business totaling 7,000,000 sq.ft. of development and acquisition assignments and over $8,000,000 in revenue for C&W.
- Through proactive engaging leadership, focused business development and aggressive recruiting, tripled market share, grew revenue from $6.6 million to $11 million and increased EBITDA by 1400% for Grubb & Ellis Co.
- Hands on real estate development professional
- Highly regarded for ability to simplify complex issues and challenges into manageable pieces.
- Recruits and creates teams of highly skilled subject matter experts to develop and implement strategies that successfully address a given projects issues and challenges.
- Successful track record working in dynamic cultures delivering high-level results.
- Skilled in business development, listening, strategic planning and execution, project leadership and management, recruiting, team development, negotiations, and operations.
- An enthusiastic, goal-oriented, organized, engaging, leader with strong communication skills and values.